Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tights Spot


I received many admiring glances as I paraded through the airport in my XU2 compression tights, overlaid with standard khaki shorts and a collared shirt.  One youngster looked at me like he thought I must be Peter Pan’s father.  Betsy had observed on the way to the airport, “You are a fashion statement unto yourself!”   My tights, of course, had nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with performance.  “All of the pros wear them,” a friend of mine, who works pro races, had informed me.  “They REALLY help with recovery.” 

On my arrival in France, the Boyz were a bit skeptical of the look and utility of the tights and I took some Texas-sized ribbing.  One claimed his wife would divorce him if he walked out of the house wearing such tights—this from a guy dressed in harlequin-colored, skin-tight shorts and shirt, showing lots of leg.  Eventually 20 year old Nick, less schooled in the old ways of looking at things, came to my rescue saying, “Dad, you need to drop it.  That guy can CLIMB!” 

By Day 3, the comments on style are being replaced by questions:  “How do your legs feel today?  How much do those tights cost?  All the pro riders wear them?”  If my climbing stays strong, don’t be surprised if the Boyz look like Robin Hood’s Merry Men before its all over.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have the right idea. Have a great trip and fun on that bike. See you when you get back and oh by the way, I think I know someone who sells those tights. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, Jack, Jack... by posting your garb photo even MORE people will see you in this get-up. Lord have mercy!
    Seriously, I'm proud of your adventuresome spirit and can-do attitude! Tell us more about the French cuisine. The grits & collards taste bland without you here to spice them up, Sweetheart!
    Hammer on, Dudes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack! I love this new style!! You should wear those tights more often. You know, like to Quaker Meeting, and social gatherings. I think I might have some that match yours. Love your blog :)
    -Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack,

    I have bad news for you. TSA has picked up your picture with the tights. (You know how they check all this foreign internet traffic.)You may have some reentry problems. I'd blame it on Betsy...tell them your wife made you wear them because she thought you might be cold.They'll understand that...
    Mark

    ReplyDelete